Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Hey I know the face but never knew your name!

Over the past few weeks of meeting people I often got the same comment! Hey I know you I just never knew your name. Its funny how you can be so visible yet unknown. So I have put together a resume of sorts to help people who may have interacted with me at times and not realized where from.



PERSONAL:
I was born and raised in Rockland County; spending my
weekends in Brooklyn.
I moved to Ulster County in 1980. Found what would be my home in Chichester in 1985.

                                                                



I am a single mother of 3 son;s all of whom were raised right here in Shandaken.
Nick who 28 is a United States Marine. He spent a year in Iraq and at the age of 22 became a Veteran of a foreign war.
Alex is 25 and is living in Colorado! He grew up making pizza at Village Pizza both in Phoenicia and Shokan. He currently lives in Denver and is still doing what he loves to do, make pizza!
  Stefan is 20 he lives here with me in Chichester. He has been working since he was 11 and has worked at many of our local businesses! Sweet Sues, TownTinker, Brio’s, Mama’s Boy! He is trying to decide on what he would like to do with his future!
COMMUNITY:
I am a past  Co-president of the PTA at Phoenicia School and life member.
A founding member of the pilot program called Shared Decision Making that involved Parents, Teachers and Administration in the way our children were educated!
I was the driving force behind the community playground built at the Phoenicia School in 1991. My responsibilities included chairwoman, treasurer, public relations, funding and donations, coordination of the build.
Heavily involved in participation of children’s sports IE: T-Ball, Little League, Football and other after school activities in this community
Was the recipient of the National Jenkins Award which is an award the PTA gives to honor individuals who have gone above and beyond for our children.
I have been involved in this community almost from the day I moved in. In my 27 yrs of living in Shandaken almost all of my volunteering or work has been spent in Shandaken or in the very near vicinity.
EDUCATION:
  Graduated from Clarkstown High School in Rockland County
  Attended Katherine Gibbs Business School!
  I have received certification in Business Administration from Ulster Community College
SKILLS:
Proficient in Microsoft Works, Public Relations, computer skills, fiscal bookkeeping, avid phone skills, payroll, delegation of duties, office and time management
WORK EXPERIENCE:
  I have owned 2 successful businesses in this town
  • How Sweet It Is (a home based business)
  •  1994 to 2001 Village Pizza in Phoenicia and Shokan


1989 to 1992 worked at Alice in Videoland in Phoenicia


Substitute aide at Onteora Central Schools
Hostess at Sweet Sues for several years
From 2000 to 2002 I worked the front desk for Dr. David Rosenblum in Woodstock. I was responsible for scheduling appointments for patients, worked with the insurance companies, Workers Compensation, NYS Disability claims, daily docketing.
In 2002 I was hired by United Health Care Insurance Company where I worked for 5 years. I have an excellent understanding of customer service, became so proficient at my job that I was given the privilege of working from home.
In 2007 I was hired by the Town of Ulster as a court clerk. My responsibilities included, but were not limited to, daily docketing, scheduling trials for both V&T and Criminal court days.  Proficient at record keeping and correspondence. I had to work with a very diverse group of people, including Judges, Prisoners, Police Officers, Assistant District Attorney’s, young and old, foreign and American.
I had the benefit of working jointly with the town clerk's office so I am already familiar with many of the responsibilities of the office.
I have been front and center working with the public all of my life, in one form or other, both personally and business wise and always face to face. Working in a Dr’s office, Insurance business and the court, personal privacy is of the utmost importance as well as the law and understanding it. I value people’s right to privacy and discretion.


GOALS:
More convenient office hours: Half day Saturdays, later office hours 2 days a week
To treat everyone with respect and discretion.
 To make the town clerk's office a pleasant and professional experience.
To treat everyone, regardless of their standing  in society,  with respect and courtesy.
It is a privilege to be elected into this office. I take that very seriously. I believe that a little kindness will go a very long way.
To do everything in my power to help with paperwork/record keeping information that is requested. 


Since Hurricane Irene we have shown how hard we can all work together to help each other regardless of if we knew each other or not.
Many of us chose to volunteer to help our local businesses and neighbors get back on their feet. I  volunteered at the Phoenicia Firehouse, which became the command center, immediately following the storm. I did this not because I was running for an office; I did it because I had lost nothing, no water in my basement, I had a generator 9so I did not lose food or lights), my son and my animals were all home and safe with me. I was fortunate and blessed and I knew it!  However I could not in good conscience sit in my home all comfortable with hot water and just let other people suffer its just not who I am.  After speaking with my boyfriend, who is a police officer, and he told me how very bad it was from Pine Hill to Mt. Tremper and about how people had to be rescued. I decided I needed to  do something constructive. Not knowing where to go, I went to the Phoenicia Firehouse on the first day and asked where I could be the most help. I was asked to join two other women to run the kitchen and distribute supplies to people. So that's where I stayed for two weeks straight for usually 12 to 14 hours a day! I went where I was told I was needed the most at the time. I learned so much about the dynamics of coordinating this town during emergencies and I will put those skills to use when ever they are needed.
That experience made me feel as if I could return the kindness that had been shown to me when my son was in Iraq. People I didn’t know would ask me about Nick and tell me he would be in their prayers. I found peace in a community that cared so much about a man simply because he was a child of this town. Together we can reunite this town to become a cohesive and peaceful place.  I believe that we have just shown each other how devoted we are to Shandaken. If we continue in this mind set we will successfully be able to draw people from all over who want to visit our beautiful community.
As a devoted local citizen and  I can give this job 100 % of my time. My experiences of a mother and business owner and dedicated employee has prepared me well for this opportunity. I am asking the town to help me become the next Town Clerk. It is time for a change and I believe that I am just the person to make it a positive change. This would be done with experience and kindness, by working hard, being consistent, always being courteous and discreet. It is my intention to make myself available to all the people.

United Shandaken Party line!

VOTE LOIS LAPINSKI ROW G



No comments:

Post a Comment