Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Voting is a privilege not a right!

Today is the last day to register to vote. Please if you live in Shandaken go to your local Post Office or Board of Elections on Wall St in Kingston and register!

I am sure all of you know or have known someone who has been in the military! I myself am lucky enough to have my father who is a veteran of WWII. He is now 84 years old and I could not be more proud of him. I also have a son who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom as a Marine! At the young age of 23 he became a veteran too.
The reason I mention this is because I think that people tend to forget that the right to vote is a privilege not a right! My father and son and many of your family members risked their lives selflessly in order to insure you get to keep this privilege and many other freedoms that most people take for granted. Honor their sacrifices made for all of us.
So I ask of you to excercise that choice and register to vote. Your local elections are just as important as Presidential elections. Its your town board that gets to decide what can stay and what can go in this town. If you have a choice to put the people you trust and believe in on that board why wouldn't you?  You really can't complain about who is sitting in those seats unless you walked into that booth and pulled that lever.
There is so much going on in Shandaken and I want to be an active participant! Although Town Clerk is not a position that gets to vote on issues by the board, I would still be a part of the process. So please help me help you and register to vote TODAY! There is a link so you can click,print,fill the form out and mail it in.
Looking forward to seeing as many of you as I can over the weekend! Enjoy and hope for sunshine.
http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/elections/NYvoterregistration.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment